The End of the Game

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

EllWhyEff
Rat

Post by EllWhyEff »

ok, well gtkrad and qerad and pretty much the same exact thing, and does the dark places engine support shaders like in q3?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I can't say for certian, I only work on the 2D side of things. I beleve it does however, atleast to some extent.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

It does support shaders? I thought it doesn't.

As for mapping - hi EllWhyEff, if you need some help with getting started with TF mapping you can always contact me on this forum (also by PMs) or by e-mail. Of course you can contact our other mappers as well.
If you are planning to use GtkRadiant you'll need the entity definition file which you can get from me. But it won't be today as I am updating it now - there were some entity changes introduced lately by Willis.
EllWhyEff
Rat

Post by EllWhyEff »

alright, I have GtkRadiant-1.2.11 installed, will that work fine? but its only the one for q3/rtcw.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

GtkRadiant 1.5 beta allows for more BSP options.

As for shaders, LordHavoc says:
DP supports a very, very limited interpretation of q3 shaders on map surfaces. It can do additive blend (light cones and such), and autosprite shaders(sprites from map polygons)

DP does parse q3 shaders for skyboxes though, just to know what skybox to load.

In the next DP beta they'll get water scrolling on q3 water surface
So no, it's not 100% but there is some funtionality there. You'd have to talk to him directly to get a better idea of what that means. I really have no clue.
Last edited by DustyStyx on Thu Mar 17, 2005 01:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

OK, I see. Thanks.

And GtkRadiant - any version below 1.5 will not really work for you if you want to map EASILY for TF. You need to get 1.5 which supports quake mapping.
EllWhyEff
Rat

Post by EllWhyEff »

Do you know if it will conflict with my other install if install the new one? cause a few yearss ago I had like 3 different versions of QeRad installed and they all conflicted but were for different game (King Pin, Heretic 2) So will I be able to keep my old install that is stable and just for Q3 and have the newer one installed. also, how well does blood work on XP? Cause if it doesn't work to well I will have to try and find another monitor that I can scrounge up and hook a 98 machine to it.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

If you install 1.5 into a completely different directory and during install chose only quake 1, without quake III, RTCW and others, then it should be fine. But I can't guarantee this. Right now I have only 1.5 installed.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Blood can work in XP, it just depends on how particular you are about having sound or not.

- Run Setup.exe and go into Sound Setup. Set Sound FX card to "none".
- You can probably setup Music Card to play midi in game without much trouble.
- You'll also want to get NOLFB if you want a higher resolution than 320x200. Open your Blood.cfg and find the lines that look like this:
ScreenMode = 1
ScreenWidth = 640
ScreenHeight = 480
edit them appropriately.

Once that's done, make a bat file to run NOLFB.com and then Blood.exe.

If you want sound the Build on XP instructions tend to work alright, though it's a bit to lagy for my taste. I’d rather have the better response time over full sound support.

As a side note, Blood’s Mapedit won’t run with XP. You can try the NOLFB trick but I've not had luck with it. If you do need mapedit you will probably want to either dual boot or get your legacy box up and running.

Edit: I forgot to add that you will need to have the -nocd tag on blood.exe if you want to to play the midi files. so in your bat file you'll want it to read:
nolfb
blood -nocd
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

mapedit will run in xp, you just have to start it with vdmsound, or copy the blood vdmsound shortcut and just change the executable to mapedit.exe
It works okay, but is less stable. Well, can't have it all :)
Number II
Fanatic

Post by Number II »

Does the screen resolution edit work when using the vdmsound shortcuts?

Also, what does the ScreenMode do?
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Number II wrote:Does the screen resolution edit work when using the vdmsound shortcuts?

Also, what does the ScreenMode do?
You have to include the nolfb command as an extra peramiter (buildxp does this already), then yes, it works fine.

Video mode is just telling the game what method of the supported software rendering to use, there are a few, but only 0 and 1 are used (standard and vesa)

Not that its really important, but heres the list of what Blood supported:
;ScreenMode
; - Chained - 0
; - Vesa 2.0 - 1
; - Screen Buffered - 2
; - Tseng optimized - 3
; - Paradise optimized - 4
; - S3 optimized - 5
; - RedBlue Stereo - 7
; - Crystal Eyes - 6
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Perhaps now would be a good time to state that I have absolutely no idea in hell what you people are on about. :lol:

No need to explain, brothers, I'm simply the comic relief (as usual).
EllWhyEff
Rat

Post by EllWhyEff »

ok, I'll install the latest version this weekend and see where it takes me. Hopefully not up s*** creek. And as for the hassle to get Blood to work under XP, I'll go the easy road and just bust out the 98 machine. But if I cant find another monitor, no sound is not a biggie and I don't need to use the editor when I can just look at the game running to make the level. So hopefully it all works out in the end.